Friday, April 6, 2012
Easter Basket Cake Pops!
A few days ago I got an order for Easter cake pops and the customer didn't have a design preference she just wanted something to reflect Easter so I decided to go with miniature Easter baskets.
For your pops you will need these items
1. A cake mix ( Any flavor you want to use)
3. Melting candy or Chocolate Bark
4. Cake pop sticks
For decorating you will need these items
1. Shredded coconut
2. Green food coloring
3. Twine for the handle
4. Jelly Beans
Making your pop-
1. First prepare your mix and bake it, for this order I'm using the flavor red velvet.
2. After your cake has cooled, in a large mixing bowl begin to crumble it.
3. Once your cake is crumbled begin to stir in small amounts of frosting until you reach a sticky consistency. You want to add just enough frosting to get your mix to stick together. For a whole cake you should use about half a can.
4. Using a scoop or spoon take out some of the mixture and start to form a ball. To get a nice basket shape flatten one side of the ball, this is where the grass and jelly beans will sit.
5. When you have all of your balls shaped put them in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
6. Once your balls are out of the freezer take a stick dip it in your melting candy and insert it into the ball.
7. After your sticks have dried you can now dip the entire pop in your melting candy. After your pop has been submerged into the melted candy tap off any access and place on a Styrofoam block to dry.
8. Once your pops are completely dry you can move on to the fun part, decorating! :)
Decorating your pop-
1. Place your shredded coconut in a ziplock bag with a few drops of green food coloring, shake the bag until your coconut is coated green like grass.
2. Attach your grass to the flat side of your basket using melted candy as "glue" and let it dry
3. Use more of the melted chocolate "glue" to attach jelly beans of your choice
4. After your pop is dry you can focus on the handle. I chose to use twine because I like the way it looks. If you want to use something edible you can roll a tootsie roll into a handle shape or use a twizzler. To use the twine method measure out enough to reach from one side of your pop to the other then apply melted candy to one side and place the end of your twine on top of it then add a small amount of the melted candy on top of the twine, hold it in place to dry. Do the same to the other side. Once both sides are dry you will end up with an adorable Easter basket cake pop!
(Bare with me on the pictures. My Rebel is being cleaned so until I get it back my phone is what I'll be using!)